Appointment and Address
- Citizenship: Taiwan (R.O.C.)
- Professor, Department of Public Health, Kaohsiung Medical University. #100 Shin-Chuan 1st Road, Kaohsiung 807, Taiwan.
- Professor and Attending Physician, Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital. #100, Tzyou 1st Road Kaohsiung 807, Taiwan.
Doctor of Medicine (M.D.)
Kaohsiung Medical College, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Master of Science in Public Health (MSPH)
College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Master of Occupational Health (MOH)
Harvard School of Public Health, Harvard University, Boston, U.S.A
Doctor of Science (Sc.D., in Occupational Health)
Harvard School of Public Health, Harvard University, Boston, U.S.A
Award and Honor
Student Award for Public Service in Kaohsiung Medical College
Governmental scholarship for study of occupational health by Ministry of Education, Taiwan
Scholarship of Endowment for Physician Education (Harvard University)
Antonio Award for Research in Occupational Health and Safety (American Bureau for Medical Advancement in China)
Annual General Research Award, supported by National Science Council (NSC), Taiwan
Annual General Research Award, supported by National Science Council (NSC), Taiwan
Young Scientist Award in the 14th International Conference of the International Society of Environmental Epidemiology
The Best Research Award in Kaohsiung Medical University
President of the Asian Association of Occupational and Environmental Health, ACOH
Rotating internship, in the Chang-Gung Memorial Hospital, Lin-Kou, Taipei, Taiwan.
Research assistant, Graduate Institute of Public Health,College of Medicine, National Taiwan University.
- Researches involved:
- Investigation about an outbreak of lead intoxication in a ceramic enamel factory.
- A follow-up study about lead battery recycling workers suffering from retinal vasculitis.
- Surveillance of lead battery factories in Taiwan area and the computerization of their periodic health examination data
- Lead analysis laboratory and participator of C.D.C.(USA) interlaboratory control(QA/QC) program about blood lead.
Resident, Center for the Research of Environmental and Occupational Diseases, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei.
Resident, Department of family medicine, National Cheng-Kung University Hospital, Tainan city.
Fellow physician, Center for Environmental and Occupational Health, Provincial Tao-Yuan General Hospital, Tao-Yuan city.
Research assistant and doctoral student in the program of occupational health, Harvard School of Public Health, Harvard University, Boston MA, USA.
Attending physician, Department of Occupational Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung City.
Assistant professor, Department of Public Health, Kaohsiung Medical University.
Commissioner, the Health Bureau of Kaohsiung County Government.
Associate professor, Department of Public Health, Kaohsiung Medical University.
Director, Department of Public Health, Kaohsiung Medical University.
Professor and Director-in-general of Kaohsiung Medical University.
Medical license examination in Taiwan
Superior grade of official physician, Taiwan
Occupational physician specialist, Taiwan
Physician specialist in family medicine, Taiwan
- Member of the Environmental and Occupational Medicine Association, Taiwan
- Member of the Association of Family Medicine of Taiwan
- Member of the International Society of Environmental Epidemiology (ISEE)
in the recent 5 years
- Hsieh TJ, Jaw TS, , Jong YJ, Liu GC, Li CW. Muscle metabolism in Duchenne muscular dystrophy assessed by in vivo proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2009 Jan-Feb; 33(1):150-4. (SCI listed journal, PMID: 19188804)
- Tsai WH, Huang TC, Huang JJ, Hsue YH, *. Dispersive solid-phase microextraction method for sample extraction in the analysis of four tetracyclines in water and milk samples by high-performance liquid chromatography with diode-array detection. J Chromatogr A. 2009 Mar;1216(12):2263-9. (*Correspondent) (SCI listed journal, PMID: 19185868)
- , Huang JJ, Huang YC, Liu PL, Chiu YW, Wang MC. The use of fine nets to prevent the breeding of mosquitoes on dry farmland in southern Taiwan. Act Trop 2009 ; 110 Apr: 35-7 (SCI listed journal, PMID: 19183549)
- Hsieh SJ, Chiu YW, Li WF, Wu CH, Chen HI, *. Increased concentrations of serum inhibin B among male workers with long-term moderate lead exposure. Sci Total Environ 2009 Apr; 407: 2603-7 (*Correspondent) (SCI listed journal, PMID: 19193394 ) (NSC90-2320-B-037-045, and 95-2314-B-037 -083)
- Wu CL, Yu KL, , Huang MH, Chen TW, Chen CH. The application of infrared thermography in the assessment of patients with coccygodynia before and after manual therapy combined with diathermy. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2009 May;32(4):287-93. (SCI listed journal, PMID: 19447265)
- Chou SH, , Huang MF, Lee CH, Yau HM. A prospective comparison of transthoracic and transhiatal resection for esophageal carcinoma in Asians. Hepatogastroenterology. 2009 May-Jun;56(91-92):707-10. (SCI listed journal, PMID: 19621686)
- Hsieh TJ, Chen YC, Li CW, Liu GC, Chiu YW, *. A proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy study of the chronic lead effect on the basal ganglion, frontal and occipital lobes in middle-aged adults. Environ Health Perspect 2009 Jun; 117(6): 941-5. (*Correspondent) (SCI listed journal, PMID: 19590687) (NSC96-2314-B-037-049, and NHRI-CN-PD9611P)
- Tan TY, Lu CH, , Lin TK, Liou CW, Chang WN, et al. Long-term antiepileptic drug therapy contributes to the acceleration of atherosclerosis. Epilepsia. 2009 Jun;50(6):1579-86. (SCI listed journal, PMID: 19292757)
- Wang FW, Chiu YW, Tu MS, Chou MY, Wang CL, *. Chronic fatigue of the small enterprise workers participating in an occupational health checkup center in southern Taiwan. Int Arch Occup Environ Health. 2009 Jul;82(7):819-25. (*Correspondent) (SCI listed journal, PMID: 19468744) (NHRI-CN-PD9611P)
- Chiu YW, , Huang MC, Wu MT, Liu HW, Huang CT. Comparison of Plasma Antioxidant Levels and Related Metabolic Parameters Between Smokers and Non-smokers. Kaohsiung J Med Sci. 2009 Aug;25(8):423-30. (SCI listed journal, PMID: 19605336)
- Hsieh TJ, Chang JM, , Ko CH, Hsieh ML, Liu GC, et al. End-stage renal disease: in vivo diffusion-tensor imaging of silent white matter damage. Radiology. 2009 Aug;252(2):518-25. (SCI listed journal, PMID: 19528357)
- Hsieh TJ, , Chen YC, Wang CL, Lan SH, Liu GC, et al. Subclinical white matter integrity in subjects with cumulative lead exposure. Radiology. 2009 Aug;252(2):509-17. (SCI listed journal, PMID: 19546424)
- Tsai WH, , Chen HH, Huang JJ, Chen HC, Cheng SH, Huang TC*. Application of dispersive liquid–liquid microextraction and dispersive micro-solid-phase extraction for the determination of quinolones in swine muscle by high-performance liquid chromatography with diode-array detection. Anal Chim Acta 2009 Dec; 656: 56-62 (SCI listed journal, PMID: 19932815)
- Chiu YW, Huang CT, *, Chang YT, Wu MT, Liu HW. Sex differences in metabolic morbidities: influence by diet or exercise habits? Kaohsiung J Med Sci. 2009 Dec; 25(12):647-55. (*Correspondent) (SCI listed journal, PMID:19951850 )
- Tsai WH, Huang TC, Chen HH, Wu YW, Huang JJ, *. Determination of sulfonamides in swine muscle after salting-out assisted liquid extraction with acetonitrile coupled with back extraction by a water/acetonitrile/dichloromethane ternary component system prior to high-performance liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr A. 2010 Jan;1217(3): 250-255. (*Correspondent) (SCI listed journal, PMID: 19959176)
- Tsai WH, Huang TC, Chen HH, Huang JJ, Hsu MH, *. Determination of tetracyclines in surface water and milk by the magnesium hydroxide coprecipitation method. J Chromatogr A. 2010 Jan; 1217(3): 415-418 (*Correspondent) (SCI listed journal, PMID: 20015512)
- Lu CY, , Yu FJ, Sun LC, Shih YL, Chen FM, Hsieh JS, Wang JY.Hypocaloric peripheral parenteral nutrition with lipid emulsion in postoperative gastrointestinal cancer patients. World J Gastrointest Oncol. 2010 Jan 15;2(1):51-55. (PMID: 21160817)
- Wang FW, Tu MS, , Yu HC, Cheng LC, Hsu PI. Erosive esophagitis in asymptomatic subjects: risk factors. Dig Dis Sci. 2010 May;55(5):1320-4. (SCI listed journal, PMID:19685186 )
- Chiu ML, Li CW, Chang JM, Chiang IC, Ko CH, , et al. Cerebral metabolic changes in neurologically presymptomatic patients undergoing haemodialysis: in vivo proton MR spectroscopic findings. Eur Radiol. 2010 Jun;20(6):1502-7. (SCI listed journal, PMID:19997847 )
- Chen HI, Chiu YW, Hsu YK, Li WF, Chen YC, *. The association of metallothionein-4 gene polymorphism and renal function parameters in lead exposure workers. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2010 Oct;137(1):55-62. (*Correspondent) (SCI listed journal, PMID: 19921116) (NHRI-98A1-PDCO-0307101 and NSC97-2314-B-037 -021).
- Chiu YW, Huang CT, Yin SM, Huang YC, Chien CH, *. Determinants of complicated grief in caregivers who cared for terminal cancer patients. Support Care Cancer. 2010 Oct; 18(10):1321–1327 (*Correspondent) (SCI listed journal, PMID: 19816716)
- Wang TN, Lin MC, Wu CC, Leung SY, Huang MS, , et al. Risks of Exposure to Occupational Asthmogens in Atopic and Nonatopic Asthma: A Case-control Study in Taiwan. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2010 Dec 1; 182(11):1369-1376. (SCI listed journal, PMID:20639444 )
- Tsai WH, , Chen HH, Wu YW, Cheng SH, Huang TC. Application of sugaring-out extraction for the determination of sulfonamides in honey by high-performance liquid chromatography with fluorescence detection. J Chromatogr A. 2010 Dec 3;1217(49):7812-5. (SCI listed journal, PMID: 21044783)
- Lee CH, , Hong CH, Huang SK, Chang YC, Ko YC, et al. Lifetime exposure to cigarette smoking and the development of adult-onset atopic dermatitis. Br J Dermatol. 2011 Mar;164(3):483-9. (SCI listed journal, PMID: 21054333)
- Wang FW, Tu MS, Mar GY, , Yu HC, Cheng LC, et al. Prevalence and risk factors of asymptomatic peptic ulcer disease in Taiwan. World J Gastroenterol. 2011 Mar 7;17(9):1199-203. (SCI listed journal, PMID: 21448426)
- Chou YH, Woon PY, Huang WC, Shiurba R, Tsai YT, Wang YS, Hsieh TJ, Chang WC, . Divalent lead cations induce cyclooxygenase-2 gene expression by epidermal growth factor receptor/nuclear factor-kappa B signaling in A431carcinoma cells. Toxicol Lett. 2011 Jun 10;203(2):147-53. (SCI listed journal, PMID:21435385 )
- Chiu YW, Yin SM, Hsieh HY, Wu WC, *, Huang CT. Bereaved females are more likely to suffer from mood problems even if they do not meet the criteria for prolonged grief. Psycho-oncology. 2011; 20:1061-8 (*Correspondent) (SCI/SSCI listed journal, PMID: 20677330)
- Chuang YC, , Lin TK, Chang CC, Lu CH, Chang WN, et al. Effects of long-term antiepileptic drug monotherapy on vascular risk factors and atherosclerosis. Epilepsia. 2012 Jan;53(1):120-8 (SCI listed journal, PMID: 22085257).
- Hong CH, Yu HS, Ko YC, Chang WC, , Chen GS, et al. Functional Regulation of Interleukin-31 Production by its Genetic Polymorphism in Patients with Extrinsic Atopic Dermatitis. Acta Derm Venereol. 2012 Aug; 92(4): 430-432 (SCI listed journal, PMID: 21952721).
- Huang CJ, Hou MF, , Lian SL, Huang MY, Chen FM, et al. Comparison of Clinical Outcome of Breast Cancer Patients with T1-2 Tumor and One to Three Positive Nodes with or without Postmastectomy Radiation Therapy. Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2012 Aug;42(8):711-20.(SCI listed journal, PMID: 22645150).
- Hou WH, Sheu CF, Liang HW, Hsieh CL, Lee Y, *, et al. Trajectories and predictors of return to work after traumatic limb injury - a 2-year follow-up study. Scand J Work Environ Health. 2012 Sep;38:456-66.(*Correspondent) (SCI/SSCI listed journal, PMID: 22388635)
- Lee CH, Hong CH, Yu WT, , Huang SK, Chen GS, et al. Mechanistic correlations between two itch biomarkers, IL-31 cytokine and beta-endorphin neuropeptide, via STAT3/calcium axis in atopic dermatitis. Br J Dermatol. 2012 ;167:794-803. (SCI listed journal, PMID:
- Chen HI, Shinkai T, Utsunomiya K, Yamada K, Sakata S, Fukunaka Y, Hwang R, De Luca V, Ohmori O, Kennedy JL, , Nakamura J. Possible Association of Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptor Gene (CHRNA4 and CHRNB2) Polymorphisms with Nicotine Dependence in Japanese Males: An Exploratory Study. Pharmacopsychiatry 2013 Mar;46(2):77-82. (SCI, PMID: 23037950)
- Hou WH, Liang HW, Sheu CF, Hsieh CL, *. Return to work and quality-of-life in workers with traumatic limb injuries: a 2-year repeated measurements study. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2013 Apr;94(4):703-10.. (*Correspondent) (SCI, PMID: 23206657)
- Yang CC, Chen HI, Chiu YW, Tsai CH, *. Metallothionein 1A Polymorphisms May Influence Urine Uric Acid and N-acetyl-beta-D-glucosaminidase (NAG) Excretion in Chronic Lead-exposed Workers. Toxicology 2013 Apr;306:68-73. (*Correspondent)(SCI, PubMed PMID: 23429061).
- Chen CC, Yen HW, Lo YH, Chu YH, Chiu YW, *. The Association of Prolonged QT Interval on Electrocardiography and Chronic Lead Exposure. J Occup Environ Med. 2013 June; 55(6): 614-619. (*Correspondent)(SCI, PubMed PMID: 23429061)
- Yang CH, Chiu YW, Huang CT, Haung YW, . A comprehensive approach in hospice shared care in Taiwan: Nonelderly patients have more physical, psychosocial and spiritual suffering. Kaohsiung J Med Sci. 2013 Aug; 29(8):444-50. (SCI, PubMed PMID: 23906235)
- Yap YS, , Chi WC, Lin CH, Wu YW, Chang PC, et al. Factors related to nephrotic-range proteinuria in late-stage chronic kidney disease patients with diabetes mellitus. Int Urol Nephrol. 2013 Oct;45(5):1327-37 (SCI, PubMed PMID: 23355027)
- Hou WH, Chi CC, Lo HLD, Kuo KN, . Vocational rehabilitation for enhancing return-to-work in workers with traumatic upper limb injuries. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2013, Issue 10. Art. No.: CD010002. DOI:10.1002/14651858.CD010002.pub2 (*Correspondent) (SCI)
- Hou WH, Liang HW, Hsieh CL, Sheu CF, Hwang JS, *. Integrating health-related quality of life with sickness leave days for return-to-work assessment in traumatic limb injuries. Qual Life Res. 2013 Nov;22(9):2307-14. (*Correspondent) (SCI, PubMed PMID: 23392909)
- Chu PC, Fuh HR, Luo JC, Du CL, , Guo HR, Liu CS, Su CT, Tang FC, Chen CC, Yang HY, Guo YL. The impact of occupational health service network and reporting system in Taiwan. Int J Occup Environ Health. 2013 Oct-Dec;19(4):352-62. (SCI, PubMed PMID: 24588042)
- Yap YS, , Chien CM, Tai YK. Relationship between peripheral artery disease and combined albuminuria and low estimated glomerular filtration rate among elderly patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diab Vasc Dis Res. 2014 Jan;11(1):41-7. (SCI, PubMed PMID: 24227538).
- Chen TH, Hsiao HP, Chiu YW, Shih NH, *, Huang CT. Maternal diabetes or hypertension and lifestyle factors may be associated with metabolic syndrome: A population-based study in Taiwan. Kaohsiung J Med Sci. 2014 Feb; 30(2): 86-93 (*Correspondent) (SCI, PubMed PMID: 24444538).
- Yang YC, Tu HP, Hong CH, Chang WC, Fu HC, Ho JC, Chang WP, *, Lee CH*. Female gender and acne disease are jointly and independently associated with the risk of major depression and suicide: a national population-based study. Biomed Res Int. (formerly titled Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology) 2014 Feb; 2014:504279 (*Correspondent) (SCI, PMID: 24678508)
- Tsai HJ, Hsieh MY, Tsai YC, Liu ZY, Hsieh HY, Lee CM, Chien CH, Chiu YW, *, Huang CY. Liver function tests may be useful tools for caring patients with advanced cancers: A preliminary single-center result. Kaohsiung J Med Sci. 2014 Mar; 30(3):146-152 (*Correspondent) (SCI, PubMed PMID: 24581215)
- Wang FW, Hsu PI, , Tu MS, Mar GY, King TM, Wang JH, Hsu CW, Chang CH, Chen HC. Prevalence and risk factors of asymptomatic colorectal polyps in Taiwan. Gastroenterol Res Pract 2014 Jun;2014:985205. (SCI, PubMed PMID: 25050119; PMCID:4094704)
- Lin YT, Wu PH, Lin CY, Lin MY, , Huang JF, Yu ML, Chuang WL. Cirrhosis as a risk factor for tuberculosis infection--a nationwide longitudinal study in Taiwan. Am J Epidemiol 2014 Jul;180(1):103-10. (SCI, PubMed PMID: 24829509)
- Hung SC, Kung CT, Hung CW, Liu BM, Liu JW, Chew G, , Lee WH, Lee TC. Determining delayed admission to intensive care unit for mechanically ventilated patients in the emergency department. Crit Care 2014 Aug;18(4):485-493. (SCI, PubMed PMID:25148726; PMCID: PMC4175615)
- Wu CY, Huang CJ, Chiu YW, Huang CT, *. A retrospective analysis of the factors associated with hypercalcaemia in patients with advanced cancer. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl). 2014 Sep;23(5):695-700 (*Correspondent) (SCI, PubMed PMID: 24304462).
- Chan CP, Tsai YT, Chen YL, Hsu YW, Tseng JT, , et al. Pb induces gastrin gene expression by extracellular signal-regulated kinases 1/2 and transcription factor activator protein 1 in human gastric carcinoma cells. Environ Toxicol. 2013 Jun 14. (In press) (SCI, PubMed PMID: 23765435)
- Lin YC, Wei PL, Tsai YT, Wong JH, Chang CM, Wang JY, Hou MF, Lee YC, , Chang WC. Pb induced IL-8 gene expression by extracellular signal-regulated kinases and the transcription factor, activator protein 1, in human gastric carcinoma cells. Environ Toxicol. 2013 Sep 17.(In press) (SCI, PubMed PMID: 24106166)
Research Grants of Serving as Principal Investigator
in the recent 5 years
The Research of Oxidant Stress and Related Genotypes on Cardiovascular System among Lead Workers
Epidemiological studies on the effect of infrared radiation on human health
The interference of infected hepatitis B in liver functions of lead workers
The cohort and toxicological studies of lead workers with their comparative population
The interaction of lead and multiple metals toxicological studies for lead worker cohort and the comparative population